Next Age Triage.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Garrysmod Roleplaying community.Old veterans, new community.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A few tips on community management.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Niko
Administrator
Niko

A few tips on community management. Empty
PostSubject: A few tips on community management.   A few tips on community management. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 12:40 pm

Hello there.
I've been running a few communities here and there for quite some time, and made a few discoveries that I thought I would share with you all in order to be able to just lean back and let you do your thing while the community runs smoothly and I can get some calm RP going.

While many may think that a community should be run and decisions be made by the members; this is sadly completely impossible. While it would be great for everyone to just get along, sit around the campfire and sing, it just won't happen. This is mainly because a lot of the players have no idea how to improve the situation/roleplay environment on the server, whether it's due to lack of experience or intelligence.
Conclusion: Therefore, all decisions should be made by the administrative team with little or no thought of the general oppinion. Besides, the community is your's. You're the one paying, and working on it. What you do with it is your choise.

There'll always be drama in a community. That little rotten apple that corrupts the barrel can be a pesky bugger. An argument between two people can quickly grow and be a battle between two groups of people which eventually leads to the collapse of the community.
Conclusion: Make sure to resolve the little problems before they grow in size, it's a good idea to make it the main purpose of one or two admins because it can be quite tirering or time consuming. If someone keeps making trouble, ban them.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe, and human stupidity." -Albert Einstein.
Keep in mind that no matter how you plan something to turn out, there'll always be a small group of people who mess it up, either due to bad roleplaying skills or low intelligence. On the other hand, don't talk down to even those who you believe to be complete morrons.
Conclusion: Make sure you take into account that while your event seems really amazing and thought out to you and the other administrators, it could fly right past some of the players.

"Two many chefs, ruin the soup."-No Clue.
Too many admins can lead to drama, not to mention the fact that most admins give themselves items etc. These magically spawned items will mess up the scenario's economy and a complete inventory wipe could be necessary.
Conclusion: Keep the number of administrators low, make sure everyone knows their duties but also make sure no one stresses too much.

One thing I've seen happen a lot is the economy/rarity of certain items messing up because the admins weren't on the same wavelength when it came to how to distribute items. It's VERY important that you don't bring too many money or items into circulation, or they will loose their value. Admins who go around giving out items in events tends to mess this up, along with automated saleries. ( BAD IDEA )
Conclusion: Keep the weapons and money at a minimum, make people work for it so the items maintain their value.

Well, thats all I can think of right now, I'll write more whenever I think of some tips. If you already knew most of this then feel free to point it out but that was hardly the point of the thread.
I hope it helps!
Back to top Go down
Termy
Beam Breaker
Termy

PostSubject: Nice   A few tips on community management. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:14 pm

Nice!
I think its helped a bit.
Although some of them I already knew.

Im sure these will help later on.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://nextagetriage.rpg-board.net
Mr.Sandvich
Station Resident
Mr.Sandvich

PostSubject: Re: A few tips on community management.   A few tips on community management. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 pm

Really nice! I agree on every angle with this. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Freecookiesforyou
genxer250
Merchant
genxer250

PostSubject: Re: A few tips on community management.   A few tips on community management. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 11:30 am

those things are treu, even tough humans are smarter than animals some can be complete morons and douches...
Back to top Go down
StarJerkins
The Artistic Owner
StarJerkins

PostSubject: Re: A few tips on community management.   A few tips on community management. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 9:41 pm

That is true Genxter, but the individual is smarter than you think. It is just the group that makes them stupid.
Take for example a crowd, if a person gets told that there is a terrorist attack here they would think about what to do. Tell a crowd and it's just screaming, chaos and trying to escape all at once.

Back to top Go down
Mr.Sandvich
Station Resident
Mr.Sandvich

PostSubject: Re: A few tips on community management.   A few tips on community management. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 11:35 pm

StarJerkins wrote:
That is true Genxter, but the individual is smarter than you think. It is just the group that makes them stupid.
Take for example a crowd, if a person gets told that there is a terrorist attack here they would think about what to do. Tell a crowd and it's just screaming, chaos and trying to escape all at once.

So true... Never actually looked at it that way!
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Freecookiesforyou
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few tips on community management.   A few tips on community management. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few tips on community management.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Next Age Triage. :: Community Section :: General Discussion-
Jump to: